Traditional Roguelike MidBoss Possesses Steam on May 23
Steam Closed Beta Available Now for itch.io Owners
The inclusion of possession mechanics and a modern interface set MidBoss apart from other traditional, turn-based roguelikes. Taking on the role of the imp, the lowliest creature in the dungeon, players can possess other creatures and learn their abilities on a quest to become the dungeon’s final boss.
MidBoss is currently available in Windows beta on itch.io for $14.99 USD, the same price at which the game will launch on Steam. Itch.io owners will be able to request Steam keys that can be activated immediately, giving them access to the Steam closed beta. The beta will be Windows-only to start.
Upon a player’s inevitable demise, a death card with details about their run and what killed them will be generated and made available to share on Twitter. Any itch.io owners who redeem their keys and play MidBoss during the closed beta period, ending May 22, will receive an exclusive, non-tradable Steam inventory item which can be selected in-game to give their death cards a platinum beta border.
“A lot of people have supported MidBoss’s development since it was first prototyped for Ludum Dare in 2012, with almost 7,000 games played to date,” says Emma ‘Eniko’ Maassen, founder of Kitsune Games. “The platinum border, one of many borders we plan to make in the future, is our way of thanking our early adopters for their continued support.”
Kill your enemies, possess their bodies, and take their abilities as your own in this turn-based procedurally generated death labyrinth. You play as the imp, the weakest monster in the dungeon. Tired of being bullied by the other monsters, you set off with your sidekick Mid to descend to the deepest levels of the dungeon, defeat the final boss, and take his place.
MidBoss is easy to pick up and play if you’re new to the genre of traditional roguelikes (turn-based strategic RPGs with permadeath), but still has the depth and complexity that veterans expect and enjoy.
- Possess your enemy and gain their strengths and skills with over 60 unique abilities to discover and learn.
- Permanent death, if you die your save is gone!
- Randomized potions every game. Who knows what’s in these mystery bottles! (optional)
- Traps as well as unidentified and cursed items.
- Dynamic music system that ups the musical excitement when enemies are about.
- Quick Play mode for shorter, more condensed play sessions.
- Custom Games so you can play the game exactly the way you want to.
- Shareable death cards document your run and how it ended. Load these in the game for stats or to play using the same seed and settings.
- Lots of crates, chests, and other containers to pillage. Find the royal chest that spawns on every floor for extra sweet loot!
- Playable with mouse and/or keyboard. Pick whatever control scheme you like!
- Color-blind modes, optional high contrast font, and adjustable brightness.
- Multiple monitor support and borderless windowed fullscreen.
- 12 retro mode filters to find and unlock.