The Smartboy Development Kit attaches to Android smartphones – turning the phone into a handheld gaming device. It will be compatible with Game Boy and Game Boy Color cartridges. Included in the kit is an open source serial app and firmware, which will enable developers of all kinds to advance Hyperkin’s current build toward a retail-ready model.
Hyperkin is offering a royalty percentage – of retail-ready Smartboy units sold – to anyone that can improve the Smartboy’s serial app and firmware. Updates and builds of the serial app and firmware can be uploaded to a dedicated Hyperkin Lab forum. Hyperkin Lab is dedicated to product testing and development.
- Open source serial app and firmware
- Compatible with GB,GBC and GBA* cartridges
- Classic handheld-style tactile button set
- Designed for Android smartphones
- Double-sided micro USB port
Specs for Devs:
- Atmel 90USB646
- NTSC/PAL cart compatible
- Phone Size: 5in-6in
- SmartBoy Serial App Access for Mounting and Controller mapping
- 4.4.4 Android KitKat OTG minimum OS requirement**
- For any other questions regarding development please contact [email protected]
*GBA function is experimental
** Note 4&5 compatibility may vary
Review by William Morrow on Dec 19th 2016:
I am not very tech savvy. So it took me a couple hours to set up the Hyperkin Smartboy. Own a Blackberry Priv with its Android apps was a no brainer for me to buy the Smartboy. After set up tested a few Gameboy and Gameboy Color games to make sure they would actually play. Very happy with the purchase so far. For anyone interested make sure you push in the front bottom button to get the usb to connect to phone. Also make sure to push in middle button on back to open up hyperkin to allow phone fit in Smartboy then lightly squeeze for snug fit. Games look crisp & sound amazing on phone and respond well with Smartboy.