The latest batch of sales numbers from sales tracker Media Create shows that the 3DS has become the third best-selling video game system in Japan – a position previously held by the PlayStation 2.
According to the latest Media Create sales, Nintendo 3DS sales for the last week were 133,478 units which make the total lifetime sales of this handheld console 21,913,661 units. While the PS2 sold 21.8 million units in the nation during its lifetime.
The best selling video game system in Japan is the venerable Game Boy followed by the Nintendo DS. The 3DS would have to sell over 11 million more units to overtake either of those systems which is very unlikely.
It is still a major milestone, and something worth celebrating. Almost six years from its initial release, Nintendo’s handheld is now one of the best gaming systems you can buy this generation, and shows no signs of slowing down. Kudos to Nintendo on the turnaround here.
Media Create Japan sales: December 12 – December 18
- Yo-Kai Watch 3 Sukiyaki (3DS) (337,979)
- Pokémon Sun and Moon (3DS) (199,514)
- Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS (3DS) (168,072)
- Saga Scarlet Grace (Vita) (64,965)
- Ryu ga Gotoku 6 poetry of life (PS4) (44,592)
- Final Fantasy XV (PS4) (44,340)
- Miitopia (3DS) (27,933)
- Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball Heroes (3DS) (26,673)
- Minecraft: PlayStation Vita Edition (Vita) (20,488)
- Specter Watch 3 Sushi / Tempura (3DS) (17,709)
- New 3DS LL (84,823)
- PlayStaiton 4 (70,031)
- Nintendo 2DS (39,218)
- PlayStation Vita (36,214)
- PlayStation 4 Pro (9,317)
- New Nintendo 3DS (9,149)
- Wii U (5,095)
- Xbox One (1,872)
- PlayStation 3 (925)
- Nintendo 3DS (226)
- Nintendo 3DS LL (62)