John Wick: Chapter 2 is an upcoming American action thriller film directed by Chad Stahelski and written by Derek Kolstad. It is a sequel to the 2014 film John Wick. The film stars Keanu Reeves, Common, Bridget Moynahan, Ian McShane, and John Leguizamo. Principal photography began on October 26, 2015, in New York City and the film is set to be released on February 10, 2017.
Legendary hitman John Wick is forced back out of retirement by a former associate plotting to seize control of a shadowy international assassins’ guild. Bound by a blood oath to help him, John travels to Rome, where he squares off against some of the world’s deadliest killers.
- Keanu Reeves as Jonathan “John” Wick / “Baba Yaga”, an ex-hitman.
- Common as the head of security for a female crime lord.
- Bridget Moynahan as Helen Wick, John’s deceased wife.
- Ian McShane as Winston, the owner of the Continental Hotel.
- John Leguizamo as Aurelio, the owner of a high-end chop shop.
- Lance Reddick as Charon, the concierge at the Continental Hotel.
- Thomas Sadoski as Jimmy, a police officer and friend of John’s.
- Laurence Fishburne as The Bowler King.
- David Patrick Kelly as Charlie, the cleaner
- Ruby Rose as Ares, an assassin
- Riccardo Scamarcio as Santino, an assassin
- Peter Stormare
- Franco Nero
- Peter Serafinowicz
In February 2015, directors Chad Stahelski and David Leitch revealed that a John Wick sequel was currently in development. The same month, CEO of Lionsgate Jon Feltheimer made an announcement during a conference call, stating “We see John Wick as a multiple-title action franchise”. Additionally, it was reported that Kolstad will return to write the screenplay. In May 2015, it was confirmed that the sequel was greenlit and Lionsgate would be selling the film at the upcoming Cannes Film Festival. It was announced that Keanu Reeves, Leitch, and Stahelski would return to the film with filming set to begin in late 2015. In October 2015, Common joined the film to play the head of security for a female crime lord, and Ian McShane was confirmed to return as Winston, the owner of the Continental Hotel. In November 2015, Bridget Moynahan, John Leguizamo, Thomas Sadoski, and Lance Reddick were confirmed to return, while Ruby Rose, Riccardo Scamarcio, and Peter Stormare were added to the cast. In December 2015, it was announced that Laurence Fishburne would appear in a cameo role.
Principal photography on the film began on October 26, 2015 in New York City. At the end of first week, filming had taken place in Manhattan. Filming moved to Italy next and later resumed in Montreal, Canada on October 27, 2016. Scenes were shot in the downtown area and at the MELS Studios. Montreal serves as a setting for scenes that take place in Moscow in the film.
John Wick: Chapter 2 is scheduled to be released on February 10, 2017 by Summit Entertainment.