What is Divinity: Original Sin?
Larian Studio’s Kickstarted masterpiece, Divinity: Original Sin singlehandedly reinvigorated the classic RPG genre. It’s sequel, Divnity: Original Sin 2, just poked it’s head up on the Steam Store with an Early Access date of September 15. If this is news to you, let’s get caught up on all of the Divnity Original Sin info released by super charming Larian Studios founder, Sven Vincke. (By the way, if you haven’t played the first Divinity: Original Sin, it’s still $40 but it goes on sale every once in a while. It is worth the $40 though, especially if you have someone special to share the 40+ hour handcrafted co-op campaign!)
Dwarves, Elves, Lizards – oh my!
A huge update to the Divinity formula comes in the form of a race and backstory addition to the character selection sequence. Not only does player determine how their character fights, and how they look – but now the character creation encompasses a whole range of backstories which will affect where the player starts and how other characters in the story interact with them. In addition, Divinity fans are getting hyped for of a new stat – memory. Take a closer look at the character creation video below!
What follows is Features List from the Divinity Original Sin 2 Steam Page:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 is an entirely new experience built on the next-gen Divinity Engine, with a new UI, an all-new art-style, and advanced roleplay systems. Everything that made the original great returns: Go anywhere you want, kill anyone, find endless ways to solve problems and gather your ultimate RPG party.
In a world where the Gods are dead, you play a wielder of forbidden magic, quarantined in the prison colony of Fort Joy. The Magisters of the Divine Order want to “cure” you of your powers. But the Order has secrets of its own. Secrets that threaten everyone. If the world remains godless, chaos will rule. It’s time for a new Divinity.
- Choose your origin story. Choose one of the unique origin stories that will define your character’s background and your personal quests. For the first time in a Divinity game, play as a Human, Lizard, Elf, Dwarf, or Undead, each with unique racial skills. Watch the world and its inhabitants react to who you are and what you’ve done, unlocking new dialog options and quest lines. Or create your own story by building your character from the ground up.
- More freedom than ever. Go anywhere, talk to anyone, interact with everything and be anyone you want. You can kill any NPC in the game, destroy objects, and use the game’s vast RPG systems to your advantage. Talk to animals and spirits to gain valuable information. Explore the huge , open world to find hours of hidden content, including entire new areas.
- New elemental interactions make turn-based combat even better. Combine elements like fire and poison for explosive combos. Bless and Curse surfaces to completely change their properties. Craft new skills and use elevation to your advantage.
- A darker and deeper story. Divinity: Original Sin 2 features a darker and more grounded narrative than its award-winning predecessor, while building on Larian’s distinctive tone of voice. This is a godforsaken world. The Void approaches. And desperate times call for desperate measures…
- Play with up to 4 players: No other RPG offers 4-player co-op like Divinity:Original Sin 2 does. Your Origin Stories will give you different, often conflicting objectives. Will you cooperate or compete? It’s entirely up to you.
- Test your skills in the new PvP Arena Mode. Challenge your friends in fast, satisfying turn-based combat sessions. Take the battle to the multiplayer-tailored Arenas, packed with explosives, loot, and deadly traps.
- New technology. Powered by Divinity Engine 3.0, the game features physics-based rendering, cloth physics, and a new dynamic music system. It makes Divinity: Original Sin 2 the most atmospheric Divinity game ever.
For the most up to date information follow the project on Kickstarter