The King of Fighters XIV will launch for PlayStation 4 in Europe on August 26 for for €59.99 / £49.99 via Deep Silver, the publisher announced. As previously announced, the PlayStation 4-exclusive fighting game will be available in North America on August 23.
The publisher has also released a new trailer for the game, which shows off some of the characters; there are a total of 50 fighters in the roster. Also showcased are various special attacks, the new story mode, and mission mode, among other things. Watch it below.
Here’s a quote from Koch Media CEO Klemenz Kundratitz:
“We are looking forward to adding The King of Fighters XIV to Deep Silver’s portfolio. Publishing the next installment of such an iconic fighting series in Europe, the first time on PS4, supplements our roster of Deep Silver games nicely.”
Here’s a full overview of the game, via the press release:
The King of Fighters XIV completely refines and expands the series’ fighting mechanics to push its gameplay to the next level. The traditional 3-on-3 Battle System returns with 19 additional playable characters, meaning 50 in total to choose from. Take the fight online with friends in 6 player Party Battle over the vastly improved netcode. When in the ring; execute new EX special moves in the enhanced ‘Max Mode’ and chain your Super Special Moves together using the ‘Climax Cancel’, all to unleash devastating combos.
The King of Fighters XIV is the most accessible title in the franchise, with the newly included ‘Rush’ feature adding simplified combo inputs for novice fighters. The story continues as a new saga unfolds in The King of Fighters XIV’s single-player story mode. Pre-orders will be available soon for the retail version, offering the Day-One Steelbook edition including the ‘Classic Kyo Kusanagi’ DLC costume.
- 50 fighters battle it out in one of The King of Fighters biggest rosters! 31 returning fighters join the tournament with 19 additional new characters!
- Climax Cancels: The King of Fighters’ trademark special move mechanic has deeply evolved in The King of Fighters XIV. Now chain your special moves together to create ultra-destructive combos!
- Improved MAX Mode: MAX mode returns deadlier than ever! Unleash EX specials to enhance your attacks and execute even deadlier moves
- Party Battle Mode: Duke it out together with friends as 6 players in the online “Party Battle” mode! Fight alongside your friends in 3-on-3 versus battles and use the built-in chat features to cheer your team on!
- Enhanced Online Modes: Create a The King of Fighters XIV profile to easily join the action online and fight on the vastly improved netcode. Train with friends in the ‘Online Training’ mode, or spectate battles and capture replays to analyse fights frame-by-frame.
- A New King of Fighters Saga: Set several years after the last King of Fighters tournament, The King of Fighters XIV continues the tale in the robust single-player story mode. Turned into a worldwide business, individuals and companies partake in a new King of Fighters tournament on a grand scale that could decide the fate of the world!
KOF 14 was first announced during the PlayStation press conference at Tokyo Game Show 2015. Although brawls take place on a 2D plane from a side-on perspective, the game is being built with 3D assets.