What is A Place in the West?
Half-Life: A Place in the West is a fan-made comic book set within Valve’s acclaimed Half-Life universe. A Place in the West follows three characters who are each in their own way drawn to a strange American city called New Franklin. Once inside, they discover a powerful secret, but the city holds many dangers, deceptive temptations, and a society on the brink of madness…
Video & Image Source – A Place in the West
A Place in the West offers a compelling story and a complex and intriguing cast of all-new characters, drawing on the rich mythology of the Half-Life universe in an entirely new medium for the series. There will be six issues in total. The first issue, Following Portents, was originally released online for free in 2015. We ran a Greenlight Campaign to bring it to Steam to share with you all.
Do I need to be familiar with Half-Life?
Nope! As part of bringing this comic book to Steam, we are adding a 3-page prologue that will make it accessible to everyone. A Place in the West is also set in the interim between Half-Life and Half-Life 2, which means that you needn’t be familiar with Valve’s later games anyway. That isn’t to say, however, that you won’t find exciting things to enjoy if you are familiar with the series.
A Place in the West‘s first issue will be made available for free using our specially designed app, and will include 5 entirely new pages.
Additional features include:
- Immediate language support for English and Russian, with further plans to include more translations in the future.
- A fully-animated menu screen, complete with audio, in the vein of Half-Life.
- Support for multiple platforms, including Linux.
- A “Behind the Scenes” video featuring a commentary track by the writers, which will include excerpts from the script, various pieces of concept art, ideas that never made it to the page, and scrapped pages.
- Taking the new pages into account, the first issue comes to a total of 38 pages.